Looking for dip-spiration?! If you’re ready to try something new, look no further than this heavenly recipe for kashk bademjan.
For lovers of baba ganoush, this too is made up of eggplants. Other ingredients include: whey (kashk), which is great for gut health; dried mint, which smells amazing when fried; and golden fried onion.
Eggplant & whey dip (Kashk bademjan)
2 eggplants, peeled and cut in half
1/2 cup kashk (liquid whey), plus 2tbsp extra for garnish
2 medium onions, sliced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2tbsp dry mint
6tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt & pepper
1. In a large saucepan, fry eggplant with 3tbsp olive oil. Add water, cover and cook for 20 minutes
2. Meanwhile, fry onion and garlic on low heat until soft and golden. Add turmeric and mix. Add half to the eggplant mixture and mix.
3. Fry dry mint briefly in 2tbsp olive oil. Add half to the mixture.
4. Remove mixture from the heat, and using a stick blender mix all ingredients until they come together.
5. Add kashk and a pinch of salt & pepper. Return pot to low heat for 1 minute and mix well.
6. Spoon dip into serving dish or bowl. Top with remaining kashk, onion and garlic mixture, and fried mint.
7. Serve with lebanese or pita bread.